URL address of your im The Decadent Life: Burlesque

Monday, June 2, 2008

Burlesque

I have recently become infatuated with Burlesque. What is burlesque, you ask? Well, in case you have been living under a rock, burlesque is a theatrical genre developed in the 1840's which was largely comedic, satirical, and included striptease. The striptease part is what I have become hopelessly enamored with. It is much more "tease" than actual "strip", and I absolutely love the whole cabaret feel of this type of performance.


Burlesque seems to be a ragingly popular thing these days. Who hasn't heard of the lovely Dita von Teese, who has been crowned the Queen of Burlesque? I absolutely adore her retro style and the work that she does. And hello? The Pussycat Dolls? Duh! Let's not forget about the Gossip Girl episode --Victor/Victrola-- in which Blair gets up on stage and does a little striptease. Très sexy! I have been listening nonstop to the song that was playing during Blair's performance, Stripper by The Soho Dolls. It's basically amazing. Take a listen, I guarantee that it will inspire you to get up and strut your stuff!

I am contemplating taking a burlesque class. There actually seems to be an abundance of them around my area, so I figure, why not? Burlesque is far more classy than those pole dancing classes, though I will admit to have once been interested in those as well (Shh, don't tell!). This could be such a fun way to really get in touch with your body, feel hot, and get in shape at the same time. What more could you ask for? For more on the world of burlesque, check out the Burlesque Baby blog. Very interesting!

I might just give burlesque a try!



confections&kisses,
Stephanie

No comments: