URL address of your im The Decadent Life: Never Judge A Book...

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Never Judge A Book...

I have a confession to make: I am completely and utterly in love with chick lit. It's actually quite embarrassing. My torrid love affair with trashy, teen novels began about two years ago when I borrowed my first Gossip Girl book from the school library. I didn't know what to expect, and oh, how quickly I fell! It was a deliciously guilty read, and I couldn't help but to savor the mischievous feeling that washed over me with every turn of a page. Being the complete goody-goody that I am, these books were a thrillingly naughty escape into a world where I could let my rebellious side take control. I gobbled up every word I read. It was wonderful!


My relationship with chick lit is still going strong. To this day I have read the entire Gossip Girl series, as well as its spin-off, The It Girl, all of the Pretty Little Liars books, the Twilight trilogy, and a few stray novels such as The Luxe (gah! loved it!) A Great and Terrible Beauty, The Upper Class (not so much...), Blue Bloods, and the newly released Poseur (I'd give it a B+). Despite my intense ardor for this literary genre, it has proved difficult to find books that I truly enjoy. Some leave me feeling a bit bare and slightly less intelligent, but I suppose that comes with the territory. My affections, however, aren't solely reserved for chick lit. I have read many novels in school and I am currently working on The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, which is an amazing book that I would highly recommend.

Don't be ashamed of your love for something that others may find silly! I have experienced my fair share of embarrassment, and it all seems so trivial to me now. Be free, be confident, and never be ashamed. Where I used to venture into the book store in disguise, I presently carry my beloved trashy novels to the front counter with pride. Now, when the cashier inquires, "Is this all you want?" I lift my chin, smile wide, and reply, "Why, yes. Yes it is."

Now excuse me as I devour the new Gossip Girl =)



confections&kisses,
Stephanie

No comments: