URL address of your im The Decadent Life: Sci-Fi Style

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sci-Fi Style

A few posts back, I proclaimed my newfound love for sci-fi (thanks Stephenie Meyer! Love The Host!). As I wandered around the mall today, I was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon the astounding new MAC collections, Neo Sci-Fi, Solar Fields, and Future Earth. Brilliant!

The new line is a wonderful assortment of sultry sparkles, sheer neons, and provocative pigments. I am especially keen on the Neo Sci-Fi eye shadows. They are velvety smooth with just the right amount of glimmer. I couldn't resist picking up Magnetic Fields, a black-brown -- almost purpley-- color with luscious silvery shimmer. This is perfect for a neutral-toned smokey eye, but I could also imagine using this as a smudgey, soft liner. I was very tempted by Time & Space, another gorgeous shadow. It is a wonderful shade of frosty copper, and almost melts into my skin. I'll be sure to pick it up next time! I love the lipglasses as well, particularly a pretty gold-pearled orange shade. I was on the brink of purchasing this lovely gloss when I looked at the name (Pink Grapefruit), and --oops!-- I realized that I already have it! Sigh... why must I be such a silly? The lipsticks come in an array of brights and neutrals, and they are all majorly gorgeous. I especially adore Electro, a neon orange that is scarily harsh and bright in the tube, but magically goes on sheer and lustrous. I must have it!

The Solar Bits pigments are to die for. They are a bit chunky at first swipe, but the effect that they create is pretty awesome. You can have sheer shimmer with a gentle swish of a brush, or a full-on, intense, reflective sparkle with a bit of layering. The power in your hands, my Sci-Fi confections!

I would really love to be able to do a thorough review on this collection, with pictures and such, but, sadly, I do not own the entire set--yet!

This recent influx of Sci-Fi has left me a bit thunderstruck: Once reserved for 'nerds', science fiction seems to be all the rage in the world of style. I love all things whimsical, and Sci-fi is just that. It's imaginary and fairytale-like in its own right, with endless possibilities galore. Futuristic fashion has been a recurring fad, but I think that we have recently figured out the right way to sport it without appearing like a fashion victim. It is definitely not the style to go all-out with. You need only play up one feature to suggest other-worldliness. Try some metallic leggings with a quiet top, a neon dress with neutral accessories, or bright lips with toned down eyes. Neon accoutrements are always a safe bet, as long as you don't wear more than one. Go for whatever suits your style, and wear it with pride!

Conclusion: Sci-Fi is it, darlings, so color your world neon, do a Martian wiggle, and be a little out there. After all, we are all rulers over our own fabulous, stylish planets. The rest of the world just doesn't know it yet!



confections&kisses,
Stephanie

No comments: